By Sridhar Ramamoorti
Get functional insights at the psychology of white-collar criminalsand tips to outsmart them
Understand how the psychologies of fraudsters and their sufferers engage in addition to what makes auditors/investigators/regulators enable down their protect. find out about the psychology of fraud sufferers, together with forums of administrators and senior administration, and what makes them are looking to think fraudsters, and consequently making them relatively susceptible to deception. simply because it specialists gave us desktop forensics, we have a uniquely certified crew immersed in psychology, sociology, psychiatry in addition to accounting and auditing, introducing the rising box of behavioral forensics to deal with the phenomenon of fraud.
Ever ask yourself what makes a white-collar felony tick? Why does he or she do what they do? For the 1st time ever, see the brain of the fraudster laid naked, together with their occasionally twisted rationalizations; imagine like a criminal to trap a criminal! The A.B.C.'s of Behavioral Forensics takes you there, with professional suggestion from a various yet hugely really expert authoring crew of pros (three out of the 4 are qualified Fraud Examiners): a former accounting company associate who has a PhD in psychology, a former FBI certain agent who has been with investigative practices of 2 of the massive 4 agencies, an commercial psychiatrist who has labored heavily with the C-level suite of huge and small businesses, and an accounting professor who has interviewed various convicted felons. in addition to a desirable exploration of what makes humans fall for the typical and not-so-common swindles, the ebook offers a sweeping characterization of the ecology of fraud utilizing The A.B.C.'s of Behavioral Forensics paradigm: the undesirable Apple (rogue executive), the undesirable Bushel (groups that collude and behave like gangs), and the undesirable Crop (representing organization-wide or maybe societally-sanctioned cultures which are poisonous and corrosive). The booklet will make you're taking an extended glance whilst hiring new staff and gives a deeper extra complicated realizing of what occurs in companies and of their humans. The A.B.C. version also will aid these inside and out businesses inoculate opposed to fraud and make you think of instilling the center values of your company between your humans and create a tradition of excellence and integrity that acts as a prophylactic opposed to fraud. eventually, you can find that, used properly, behavioral equipment trump completely monetary incentives. With enterprise fraud at the upward thrust globally, The A.B.C.'s of Behavioral Forensics is the must-have booklet for investigators, auditors, the C-suite and hazard administration pros, the forums of administrators, regulators, and HR professionals.
- Examines the psychology of fraud in a pragmatic means, concerning it to points of fraud prevention, deterrence, detection, and remediation
- Helps you recognize that belief violationthe essence of fraudis a betrayal of behavioral assumptions approximately "trusted" people
- Explains how solid humans cross undesirable and the way in a different way sincere humans go the line
- Underscores the significance of constructing a tradition of excellence and integrity that inoculates a firm from fraud hazard (i.e., sincere habit can pay, whereas dishonesty is frowned upon)
- Provides key takeaways on what to seem for while hiring new staff and on your present staff, in addition to growing and retaining a tradition of keep watch over consciousness
- Includes narrative bills of interviews with convicted white-collar criminals, in addition to interpretive insights and research in their rationalizations
- Furnishes rules approximately the right way to increase specialist skepticism, find out how to withstand fraudsters, tips on how to see via their schemes, tips on how to infuse inner controls with the people/behavioral aspect, and lead them to better in addressing behavioral/integrity risks
- Provides an exceptional beginning for education courses around the fraud danger administration lifestyles cycle the entire manner from the invention of fraud to its research in addition to remediation (so an identical fraud does not occur again)
- Enables auditors/investigators to have interaction in self-reflection and steer clear of cognitive and emotional biases and traps that result in specialist judgment mistakes (e.g., overconfidence, affirmation, self-deception, groupthink, halo impression, availability, speed-accuracy trade-off, etc.)
Ever because the accounting scandals surrounding Enron and WorldCom surfaced, resulting in the passage of the Sarbanes Oxley Act of 2002, in addition to the continued fall out from the Wall highway monetary main issue precipitating the Dodd-Frank Act of 2010, fraud has been a number one difficulty for executives globally. in case you suggestion you knew every thing there has been to understand approximately monetary fraud, reconsider. Get the true scoop with The A.B.C.'s of Behavioral Forensics.
Chapter 1 Fraud Is in every single place (pages 13–26):
Chapter 2 The Sins of Quantification and different Mind‐Set Impediments (pages 27–39):
Chapter three past the Fraud Triangle: towards an overview of A.B.C. conception (pages 41–54):
Chapter four past the Fraud Triangle and into the brain: The development Blocks of Behavioral Forensics—Understanding How the fundamentals of Human habit Tie into Fraud (pages 59–79):
Chapter five “Said the Spider to the Fly …”: The Predator‐Prey Dance—Putting Behavioral technology basics into movement (pages 81–119):
Chapter 6 The unintended Fraudster (Bad Apple): whilst the Apple Turns and Honesty Reverses path (pages 121–141):
Chapter 7 The undesirable Bushel and past: Seeing the bigger Context of the C‐Suite (pages 143–164):
Chapter eight coping with the Ecology of Fraud: What you are able to do on Monday Morning (pages 171–194):
Chapter nine the way forward for Behavioral Forensics: constructing mental expertise to enrich monetary Fraud Suspicions (pages 195–212):
Read or Download A.B.C.'s of Behavioral Forensics: Applying Psychology to Financial Fraud Prevention and Detection PDF
Similar managerial books
This publication examines the perform of strategic enterprise making plans, together with its capabilities, equipment, instruments, and how within which they're hired. It does so in a pragmatic method via case experiences, which assist in demonstrating the best way to innovate for you to conquer hindrances and canopy new and evolving demanding situations.
Mit der thirteen. Auflage der "Flexiblen Plankostenrechnung und Deckungsbeitragsrechnung" wird der zukunftsweisende Weg Wolfgang Kilgers für praxisgerechtes Kosten- und Erlösmanagement konsequent weiter geführt. Vollständig aktualisiert bietet dieses Standardwerk den state of the art einer modernen Plankosten- und Deckungsbeitragsrechnung.
In Zeiten des verstärkten Wettbewerbes, Banken-Rating und Internationalisierung ist die Bedeutung des Controllings branchenunabhängig für alle Unternehmen gestiegen. Vor diesem Hintergrund gibt das Werk eine Einführung in die grundlegenden Controlling-Instrumente und erläutert detailliert und praxisnah den Aufbau von Controlling-Systemen für kleine, mittlere und mittelgroße Unternehmen.
Dieses Buch vermittelt prägnant und eingängig Konzepte und Handlungsempfehlungen für erfolgreiches Beteiligungscontrolling und -management, insbesondere mit Blick auf den bilanziellen Einfluss von möglichen Optimierungen. Dabei stehen die klassischen Fragen der Investitionsrechnung, Bilanzerstellung aus Sicht von Unternehmern, Banken oder Aktionären, Portfoliomanagement, money- und Liquiditäts- bzw.
- The Management Mythbuster
- Accounting in a Nutshell, : Accounting for the non-specialist
- Internal Control: A Study of Concept and Themes
- Surviving and Thriving in Uncertainty: Creating The Risk Intelligent Enterprise
- Practical Enterprise Risk Management: A Business Process Approach
- Financial and Management Accounting: An Introduction, 4th Edition
Additional info for A.B.C.'s of Behavioral Forensics: Applying Psychology to Financial Fraud Prevention and Detection
S of behavioral forensics as a backbone to explain the breadth of effects to the reader. We are persuaded that the combination of behavioral forensics, financial forensics, and computer forensics will result in a synergy that can be a powerful antidote to combat fraud and white‐collar crime internationally. Notes 1. S. Ramamoorti, J. W. Koletar, and D. Morrison, Bringing Freud to Fraud: Understanding the State of Mind of the C‐Level Suite/White‐Collar Offender through “A‐B‐C” Analysis. org. 2.
See, for instance, H. M. Schilit and J. Perler, Financial Shenanigans: How to Detect Accounting Gimmicks & Fraud in Financial Reports (New York: McGraw Hill, 2010); Mark Nigrini, Forensic Analytics: Methods and Techniques for Forensic Accounting Investigations (Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2011); Mark Nigrini, Benford’s Law: Applications for Forensic Accounting, Auditing, and Fraud Detection (Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2012); and D. D. Dorrell and G. A. Gadawski, Financial Forensics Body of Knowledge (Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2012) for methods and techniques of forensic accounting, auditing, and fraud detection.
S of Behavioral Forensics also assume you are reading this book with other tangible things nearby such as a phone, a pencil or pen for writing, and a case to carry what you need for work or school. You can experience them with your senses, and others can experience them, too. This changes with numbers. The book you hold in your hand is real, but once we talk about all the books in your collection, dozens or hundreds, that now becomes a representation. The pencil you write with is real. If you have one more, then you have two pencils.